Disneyland - December 2011

Disneyland - December 2011

Saturday, November 29, 2008

I think I'll go private

This evening I was looking at my stat counter and looking at the visitors who've been checking out my blog. I was curious when I saw that someone all the way over in Russia had taken a peek! It just got me thinking. We are awfully exposed here in blog land. Though I'm cautious about not giving out our last name or talking about the city we live in (just the state), there are still many pictures of our kids posted for "all the world" to see. So with that in mind, plus the latest episode of "Private Practice" (Violet, who is a psychologist was seeing a patient who is a pedophile), I'm just a little uneasy about it. I think I may make my blog private. Tell me your thoughts on this. Maybe I'm overreacting. But if you would like to be added to the list of people able to view my blog, please comment on this post and I will add you. I'm not sure if/when I will make it private, maybe in the next week or so.

10 comments:

nateandtraci said...

i want to be able to see your blog, do i have to have a blog to be able to do so? i get the creepy factor. i thought that about my myspace/facebook accounts... i made those semi-private.

Eryn said...

I feel ya...I just know that I like to blog hop to others who I wouldn't normally know or be on thier "list" of viewers...that's why I keep mine open, but I feel the cautiousness.

Put me on your list if you go private! Eryn

Julie D. said...

put me on the list! I was initially private because Ryan didn't want it public but now I'm kinda glad because I can post pics/info that I wouldn't normally post because I know who is reading. It would be fun though to develop 'blog' friends all over but my blog is mostly for out of state friends/relatives so its not a huge deal.

The Bentley's said...

I totally understand you. I have thought about the same thing, but for us, I tell random people at church about it so they can "keep up". I think that once the baby's born I might do the same thing, for the same reason!

Of course sign me up on your list!

Audrey said...

I hear you, Amy. That is a little creepy. If you do go private, put me on your list!

annaliese said...

I'm glad you posted about this. I have been thinking the same thing. One thing I am considering is code names for everything. I have seen this done in a couple of high profile blogs.--the only problem is remembering to code everything--and having to go back and change stuff.--I have also considered a family/friends private and a public--but I think that would be too much to keep up with. I do enjoy the freedom of being able to jump from blog to blog--but I understand the freaky nature of weirdos out there, too...

elizabeth said...

personally, if i had a blog, i'd make it private. i have blog hopped all over the "world" (that's how i ended up here today), and i read some blogs on a regular basis that are written by people i don't know at all. i read them because they have touched me in some way, but i know that i wouldn't want pictures of my kids out there for all to see. you'd be surprised at how easy it is to identify people and where they live by the innocent comments they make or by looking at the profiles of others who leave comments on your page. i'd be careful.

Lee Ann said...

It's something everyone of us has thought about and some have done. It just hasn't got to the "creepy" point for me yet. I also think that there are creepy people in every aspect of my life, but that doesn't stop me from living life. All that said, and I'm sure some day mine will be private as well....just not right now. You just have to do what is right for you and your family.

Dee said...

I just don't share anything I don't want everyone to know about.

It really is an individual decision. Either way, keep me on your list.

Trish said...

well, I put it all out there and only feel weird about stuff when people I know come up to me and say "I read your blog". It's them I worry about! The strangers don't bother me ;-)

either way, I understand, but want to be on "the list" if you do go private.