That would be me. Right now, I just have one of my 3 children in school. Ryan goes to kindergarten and I LOVE that he goes to school at noon. Our mornings are so laid back and relaxed. It's like every morning is a Saturday morning. The kids watch cartoons, I drink coffee and sit in front of the computer, we stay in p.j.s until 11:00. It's great. But Ryan has "flip-flop" days at school. This is when the afternoon kids go to school in the morning and the morning kids get a day off. This helps even out the early release days. So today was a flip-flop day. I rolled out of bed around 7:20, when Ryan came in, then realized, "crap, we have to leave for school in 30 minutes!". So the rush begins. I flip open the shutters in the boys' room and poor Casey rolls over and mumbles something about someone hitting him. He's having a dream about his brother, apparently. Now that the shutters are open, we realize that it's a gray and rainy day. Yay! We don't get those too often here in AZ! But Ryan says, "I don't think it's a good day for school. It's raining!!". I then remind him that just over a year ago, we lived in Washington where it rained more than it didn't and he was most certainly going to school today. I throw some clothes at him, tell Casey to go pee and rush to the kitchen to toss some Eggo waffles into the toaster. I head to my room and throw on some jeans, then go back to see the boys' progress. I hoist Emily into her high chair, get Eggos on a plate for Ryan while Casey tells me he doesn't want Eggos. I get him cereal. As I'm bustling around the kitchen, Ryan asks why I have on a robe with my jeans. Oh yeah, I guess I should finish getting dressed. Forget make-up. The hair goes into a pony tail, a sweatshirt and tennies are added, I'm good to go (I always promised myself that I would never take my kids to school while still wearing p.j.s - BUT, if Ryan's school had a drive-thru drop off/pick up area, I would most definitely break this promise to myself!). Casey and Emily are still wearing their p.j.s but it's time to go. Go! Go! Go! Everyone in the van! I open the garage door and the kids stop, mesmerized by the strangeness of water falling from the sky. "Get in the car! It's just rain!", I shout. Everyone buckled? Whew. Let's go. Oh, first, before I back out of the garage, I have to turn off the A/C and roll up the windows because just yesterday it was warm and sunny. Arizona is so weird. Ryan tells me as we back down the driveway, "Off like a heard of turtles!". That was always my mom's favorite motto. It made me laugh.
So I got Ryan to school just a hair past 8:00. What in the world am I going to do next year when I have to have him at school by 8:00am? Isn't there such a thing as afternoon 1st grade? Sigh...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Actually there is a school at noon...homeschool!
Oh the morning rush. Nothing like saying "Oh s--t" first thing in the morning.
You are amazing. I would have had the same thoughts as Ryan, "it's raining"! and rolled over and went back to sleep.
Post a Comment