Disneyland - December 2011

Disneyland - December 2011

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lucy Bella


We are the proud new owners of this beautiful Boxer! We rescued her from a great organization called Boxer Luv Rescue. We chose the name "Lucy Bella" because Lucy means "bringer of light" and I like how that reminded me how Jesus is Light. Bella means beautiful. Tripp liked Bella and I liked Lucy, so we combined them.

She is about 2 and a half. It appears that she was probably a "bait dog" in Pit Bull dog fights. The people from Boxer Luv tell us that Boxers are common bait dogs in this completely inhumane business of dog fighting. Boxers are thrown into the ring to rile up the dogs. So our poor Lucy has lots of scars and battle wounds on her. Now, you may be wondering, "doesn't this make her aggressive?" No! She is the most mellow dog with the sweetest disposition! And the people at Boxer Luv work really hard to find dogs that are good matches for a family. They know we have small kids and all of our requests. I'm absolutely sure that they would not introduce us to a dog who could potentially be aggressive.

Lucy is super attached to me already. She rode home sitting at my feet and once we got home, she followed me everywhere. She definitely sniffed out her new digs, but once she was done sniffing, she was my shadow.
As I took a shower that night, she layed here, right at the shower entrance and wouldn't budge. Tripp tried to pull her out of the bathroom but she dug her heels in and wouldn't move.


She doesn't fully trust Tripp yet. She cowers slightly when he reaches to pet her. But when I reach for her head, she lifts it up. She also did this same thing this morning with one of our male neighbors. I'm pretty sure it has to do with her past. It was probably men who threw her in the ring and provided her primary "care", if you can call leaving a dog in a crate most of their life and only bringing her out to be bit and nipped at.
She slept in our room on her doggie bed that we bought her. I let her out at 2:30am to go pee and again at 5:15 she was up and around. I told Tripp it was his turn to let her out, but she wouldn't go out for him. So I had to get up and let her out. Tripp thinks this will work to his advantage - the way she is attached to me! But this is what I wanted. A dog that would be by my side. And that is what kind of dog God provided for us.
We've not even had her for a full day, but I'm praying that she will be a good match for our family. On the way home, in the van, Casey's nose was pretty stuffy. Please pray that his allergies don't flare up because of our dog. And Emily is not very happy about the dog either. Please pray that she warms up quickly and adjusts to our new family member.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

what a sweet looking dog! i hope everything goes well with the new addition to the fam!

Lee Ann said...

what a sweet pup! I love how much he adores you already. Except for the potty breaks at night. Maybe he'll outgrow those soon. Praying that he's a good fit and that he brings you peace and comfort.

Megan said...

Awwww, what a sweetie. It makes me SO MAD that dogs are treated that way. I pray your family is the healing that she needs.

The Barrett Family said...

So cute. Having a dog will be so great for the kids. Jared feeds our Daisy dog every morning - part of his "chores". Tim like us having a dog for the same reason - he wants some serious barking if someone unknown comes to the door.

We think Daisy (yellow lab) was abused early on, too. She takes a long time to warm up to guys - won't go near them at first. Although she barks like crazy, if you open the door and let the person in she runs upstairs. ;-)

So... I do a lot of talking through the glass with the door shut when I am home by myself so Daisy still sounds really tough!