Disneyland - December 2011

Disneyland - December 2011

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Blogger's Block, Already?

Is it possible to have blogger's block when I've had my blog less than a month with only 8 posts? I guess I have stuff to post about but I'm insecure about whether people will find it interesting, funny, insightful or any number of adjectives I think my blog should be. Anyone else feel that way sometimes? Why do we worry so much about what other people think of us? I spent a ridiculous amount of time this morning, trying to figure out what to wear to Bible study. I tried on several pairs of pants with several tops, not really liking the way anything looked together. I'd love to be on the show "What Not to Wear" just to have the advice. I don't think my wardrobe is hideous, like most of the wardrobes of the people on that show, but I feel myself slowly slipping into the realm of "stay-at-home-mom attire". I don't want to go there. But sometimes I feel so clueless as to what is fashionable these days. When my friend Mere was here visiting and we were getting ready for our date night with our husbands, I asked her for help in dressing me. She has a better eye for fashion than I do. My problem is that I'm stuck in a "matchy-match" attitude of dressing myself. For instance, she pulled out a turquoise top with jeans and wanted me to wear my open toed, patten leather red shoes. Really? Turquoise and red? I had a hard time with that. I should have a better fashion sense because my mom was all about the outfit and accessories. I grew up watching her always be dressed to the nines. She had a closet full of fashionable clothing with 50 or more pairs of shoes and boxes of jewelry to match. I did inherit her "bling" but her shoes are a size smaller than mine, and her body type is way different than mine so I only took a few of her tops. But fashion and looking her best was very important to my mom. She cared a lot about her appearance what others thought of her. She passed that on to me, but not the ability to do anything about it! So this morning when I was getting ready for Bible study, I was thinking a lot about her. I make it a point, everyday, to wear something that belonged to her. But this morning, I was having a hard time. I needed her advice for my silly quandary. It's been 17 months since my mom went to be with Jesus. I miss her. I wish I could just pick up the phone and talk to her about nothing. That's the kind of relationship and friendship we had. We would just call each other for no reason other than we were thinking of each other and wanted to say "hey". There are still many days when I'm driving along and almost reach for my phone to call her. My heart goes out to a friend of a friend back in Vancouver, who's mom is at the end stages of cancer. She is about to lose her mom and my heart is sad for her. She is spending every moment she can with her mom. It is hard to lose your mom, no matter your age, but especially when it feels like it's before their time. But I know this was God's time. I don't understand it, but I trust that God does. And the loss of my mom has drawn me closer to Him in many ways.

Sorry for kind of a "downer" of a post. I just got to typing and this is where my thoughts went. So go hug your mom or if she isn't near by, call her and tell her you love her.