It's been more than 2 months since our home was invaded by an unwanted intruder who followed me home one night with the obvious intent of finding me alone.
I shiver to think of what would've happened that night had Tripp not been home; had the man been armed; had God not surrounded us with an army of angels.
As the time has gone by, I've become so much less afraid. But on the nights Tripp is at the station and as the sun sets, my anxiety sets in. Most of the time I'm okay. I have Psalm 4:8 imprinted on my brain: "I will lay down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord make me dwell in safety." I repeat this verse, outloud even, when I go to sleep.
But going to sleep is sometimes hard to do. On the nights Tripp is not home, I find myself staying up much later than I should. Even now, at 12:30am, my eyelids are heavy, but I don't want to lay my head down on that pillow until I know that I'll fall asleep instantly because I don't like laying in the dark silence, feeling vulnerable. At least when I'm awake, I'm on alert. Ready to push my panic button on my alarm system or dial 911.
I don't like pausing and looking everytime I hear a "bump in the night".
Another verse that I really like and have memorized is another Psalm. It's Psalm 91:10-12, "then no harm will befall you. No disaster will come near your tent {home}. For He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you in all your ways. They will lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."
Anyway, I know that my fear is not of God and I need to tell myself what I tell Ryan whenever he is afraid, "Scram, devil!!" And pray that God would fill me with His peace.
I guess I'll go to bed now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Bless your heart! So proud of you knowing who to run to! And I absolutely love those scriptures. The Psalms are becoming more appealing to me.
You found some GREAT verses to help. No, your fear is not from God...it's Satan trying to make you doubt God. You're right to tell him to scram, that he has no place with you. I'm still praying for you friend.
I know that fear ... maybe not the same physical enemy, but the same spirit, no doubt.
After our ordeal, I find myself constantly scanning the floors and walls and ceilings and jumping at everything that brushes against my foot (doesn't help that we've killed 5 scorpion INSIDE the house in the last 7 days - the most recent I had to take care of by myself last night in the presence of my two babies, just inches from Will's crib!) ...
All that to say, I am with you and I understand. I keep repeating Jared's memory verse from the Steve Green classic, "When I am afraid, I will trust in you, in God whose word I praise" (Psalm 56:3-4). Even David was afraid, yet he trusted. It's a hard thing, really ... not only do we battle the fear, but also sometimes the guilt for the engaging in the struggle itself.
Proud of you ... name it, embrace it, and attack it. God is with you and so are so many of our prayers.
(((HUGS)))
Max Lucado has a book coming out on it's either Sept 7th or 8th. It's called Fearless. I'm going to be reviewing it so I got an advanced copy. I received it yesterday and began reading it almost right away. {So far} I think it's a good one for anyone to read but maybe for you and this situation it would be a good one to pick up just to have as a reminder and tool to have on your side.
Love those verses!!
love the psalm 91 verses! Continued prayers are heading your way. You are brave and strong through this whole ordeal.
Post a Comment