Disneyland - December 2011

Disneyland - December 2011

Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Birthday

So let me just start by saying that I'm so happy that Tripp got our computer working again. He is a problem solving genius. He doesn't quit until he figures it out.
On Tuesday morning, our power went out which causes our computer to not want to turn back on without removing the side panel, unplugging a few things then plugging them back in and restarting it. I did not know the "protocol" for this and Tripp couldn't explain it to me (as he was at the fire station that day). So I was without my beloved internet all of Tuesday. By the end of the day I had the shakes. After I put the kids to bed, I was beside myself. I didn't know what to do! Nothing was on TV that I was interested in, so I think I just went to bed.
Well, while at the station, Tripp hacked onto my blog and posted the previous post. Wow. What a great husband I have. Scroll down to read it after you finish here. So when he got home from the station, he began trying to get the computer to turn back on. Which he did, but then our mouse didn't work and he couldn't figure out why. So he told me that my "birthday card" was a post on my blog from him. Well, now I HAD to get to a computer! So thankfully, my sweet friend who lives a couple blocks away, let me use hers after we had coffee at Starbuck's.

Anyway, for my birthday surprise, we went to dinner, which wasn't really a surprise, I knew about that part. The surprise was what was to follow dinner! We hadn't decided on a restaurant yet, so we drove down 83rd Avenue off Bell Road because there are about 30 different eating establishments all in a row. We saw a place we'd never tried, called "The Tilted Kilt". We decided to give it a try. I was a little put off by the main entry doors, which have a stained glass bar maid barely dressed, holding a big pitcher of beer. "Huh", I thought, as we ventured through the doors. But if only I'd known that the doors were just a prelude to what was waiting for us just inside.

So we walk in and we're greeted by about 5 teenagers at the hostess stand. One of them, who might have actually been 12 years old, wearing toddler size clothing says, "Hi! How many?" I'm dumbfounded by their appearance and fight the urge to run right out of there and stammer, "Can we please see a menu?" So she hands me one. Tripp and I head to the door to pretend like we're looking at the menu and I tell him, "I'm not eating here!" Seriously, do you know what their "uniform" is in that place? It's a tiny piece of plaid fabric that barely covers their rear. The little girl who greeted us had a pierced navel with her hip bones protruding and the skirt is so low, I'm sure she has to shave her pubic hair (if 12 year olds can even grow pubic hair) to be able to wear it that low and the tops are plaid bras covered with a tiny white blouse that is tied right under the boobs. OH MY GOSH! I told Tripp, "sorry, but I'm not eating here, especially not on my birthday. We can go back for yours though!"

So we head on down the road and end up at the Elephant Bar. Which was a good choice, we both had really good drinks and dinners. Our waiter was a nice looking young man (am I 80? Did I really just call a guy in his 20s a "young man"?) wearing a long sleeve black button up shirt, slacks and apron. Much better, in my opinion.


For my surprise after dinner, he took me to Dolce Spa and Salon where he had scheduled pedicures for BOTH of us! I was shocked, but realized that is why he said I couldn't bring my camera with me on our date ;-) So it was fun and he scored husband points with that!


Here are a few pictures of us before we left and of our feet after we got home.

Tripp always says, as the summer progresses, "I'm golden". Clearly, you can see who is more golden, by the pictures! I tease him that I didn't realize "pasty" is a shade of golden.

Don't his toes look so nice? The gal buffed them!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Amy! That sounds like so much fun..the pedi, not the awful restaurant. I wouldn't have eaten there either. I'm so happy you had a wonderful birthday. You have one sweet husband.

Megan said...

Wow, what a guy!! That's hilarious though "Didn't know pasty was a shade of golden." That's what people are probably thinking about me, too! Hahaha!!

Happy {belated} Birthday!! Off to read your hubbys post now. =)

Lee Ann said...

The whole thing is awesome! Love that he posted that about you! Nice guy!

Julie D. said...

that is hilarious!! I loved your commentary on the hostesses at the first restaurant! I would have done the same thing! Happy Birthday!!

Trish said...

You totally have me cracking up here!!!! Now you know, when Emily goes applying for jobs in 16 years where to steer her away from!

I'm glad you had a great birthday suprise.

Tell Tripp that his shade of golden looks much better than my pastey arctic white!