My very first half marathon is just 2 weeks away.
Last weekend, we were up at Lew & Elaine's cabin and I ran 9 miles. There is a loop I do around their neighborhood that is 1.7 miles. I did 5 laps which was 8.5 miles and finished up the last half mile by running to the end of the street. It was awesome. The weather was perfect and what was even better was that my sweet family, all 4 of them, waited out front of the cabin for me with cheering and water with each lap that I ran. I loved it! And I finished it in 1 hour and 25 minutes.
I had to do 9 miles again in the middle of the week, to gear up for 10 this weekend. It wasn't bad, but I didn't do as well I had done (time wise) up at the cabin this time. It took considerably longer, but I had the dog for part of it so that may be why.
Anyway, I've always thought, through this whole training process, that once I get to 10 miles, I will feel like I can do the half. No problem.
So today I did it (and then some - 10.3 to be exact!). But I tell you what, the last 2 miles were tough. As I made it to my "finish line", I kept thinking, "how will I be able to add 3 more miles come race time?" My lungs felt great. I was breathing just fine. It was my feet and the muscles in my legs that couldn't go on.
I drug myself home. Exhausted, but proud of the accomplishment. Here is what I looked like after 10.3, don't be fooled by the smile, I just can't help but smile when there is a camera on me :-)
Check out that awesome back sweat!
It was muggy out there this morning. I don't know the temp when I left, but it was probably 80 degrees already. It was 84 by the time I got home. Thank goodness for our pool! Can you believe on October 3rd we can still jump in the pool (in fact, the boys are out there swimming as I type this!). It is supposed to cool down this week, I pray this is accurate info from our ever loving weather people!
This coming week, my training looks like this:
Tuesday 10/5: 2 easy miles
Wednesday 10/6: 8 tempo miles (pray that this will actually happen, it's a busy day)
Friday 10/8: 2 easy miles
Saturday 10/9: long run - 11 miles
Monday 10/11: 2 easy miles
Wednesday 10/13: 5 tempo miles
Sunday 10/17: HALF MARATHON (more prayers would be appreciated on this day!)
3 comments:
way to go, Amy! glad training is going well for you!
Girl...you look awesome! I am so proud of you! I still can't believe you are doing this, especially as a mom of 3 and a busy life! You go girl!!!!!! I'll be praying for you and cheering you on (from home)! Love ya!
You are doing so well...you're going to know out that 1/2 marathon no problem. Love the back sweat :)
Post a Comment