I had to do it. There's no feasible way to train for a half marathon in the summertime in Phoenix without joining a gym (or owning a treadmill).
So I did it.
I didn't want to. The gym has a bad wrap in my mind. I won't go into the details of why. Trust me, it just does.
I even got a nervous stomach as I approached the doors...
But I've visited 3 times now. Running like a madwoman on the treadmill. Today I actually lifted weights, something I haven't done in a long time. But my sweet friend joined me, so that made it easier.
Going to the gym was something we did as a family when I was in jr. high/high school. Me, my mom and dad. We didn't go to church on Sundays, we went to the gym. I enjoyed it though. They didn't drag me kicking and screaming. I really liked this unconventional family tradition we had.
Today, using the weight machines, all the techniques came back to me, just like riding a bike. It didn't feel awkward to use these foreign objects. I'm actually excited and looking forward to my dad's next visit to Phoenix so I can take him to my new gym for a workout, just like old times!
My very first half marathon is sneaking up on me. It's about 8 and a half weeks away. October 17th is the big day. I'm nervous to say the least. I'm not worried about having a great finish time, I just want to run the whole thing without stopping. I finally got back on track with my training. I jumped back into my training program and thankfully the week I picked it back up is an easy week. I have 4 milers this week. Three of them. Two down, one more to go, which will be on Friday.
Next week scares me a bit. I have 2 miles on Monday, 7 miles on Wednesday, 2 miles on Thursday and (eek) 9 miles on Saturday! The kicker with the 9 miles is that I'll be up north at Lew & Elaine's cabin where the elevation is about 6,000 feet and the loop that I do is not flat! Hopefully my friend who is joining me to scrapbook up there will join me in this run too! I haven't told her about it yet, probably should bring that up to her soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Girl, I would be glad to give it a shot with you, but don't plan on me running the whole 9 miles in 9K elevation!! I CANNOT wait for next weekend! ;)
You will do wonderful. I can see that you've been working hard and just think of how it will feel once you finish. Good luck with your nine miles.
You can do it, Amy! I'm still trying to decide if I run the girlfriends' half. Could I be ready if I started now? I don't know! Glad the gym has worked out for you!
Post a Comment