Disneyland - December 2011

Disneyland - December 2011

Monday, March 29, 2010

Springtime in the desert

Spring. I love this time of year in Phoenix!
It means that I can now get up at 6am to go for a run before Tripp leaves for the station and not only is it light out, but it's cool! It won't be long before it will already be 90 at 6am, so I'm savoring this (ran 4 miles this morning, by the way!).
This time of year also means that we can take the kids on fun hikes and to the park and enjoy the fresh air!
And it means that I can plant these beauties and enjoy the glorious colors. Pretty soon all I'll be able to grow are marigolds and petunias.








These are my pretty pansies in the front of our house
And our grass in the front looks amazing! We've had so much rain lately that it's just as green as it can be
My roses are doing awesome! Just a few aphids so far. They will be plentiful soon (anyone have a surefire method to get rid of aphids?)



This is stock. I carried it in my wedding bouquet. It smells devine, but not as good as the smell of the orange blossoms right now!
Below is my planter that runs along the street. On Valentine's Day Tripp and I planted geraniums and ranunculas. The ranunculas died so I replaced it with verbena
These next pictures are from our backyard.
I love these things that are blooming on the walls
And this is one of the many lantana we have. It isn't as pretty as it'll be in the full blown summer. These things love the heat!

That is all of what is blooming in our yard for now!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I want to live in AZ...how beautiful. Verbena are my favorite because they are so dainty and colorful. Your yard is lovely, enjoy!

Meredith said...

Absolutely beautiful!! God is so creative! And your lantana?? You know I love it! As it pours rain outside, maybe I'll just gaze and your pictures and dream of spring!

Megan said...

All so pretty!!!

Brooke Zimmermann said...

Loved your post! Long lost friend:) I'm trying this and it seems to work pretty good. Good luck!
Brooke

Home remedy for aphids. You can kill aphids by spraying, especially under the leaves, with a solution of 2 tsp mild dish or laundry soap to a bottle of luke warm water. The soap washes off the aphid’s protective waxy coating and causes dehydration. You can also mix three parts luke warm water to one part vegetable or horticultural oil and a couple drops of dish soap. This mixture can be sprayed on to clog the respiratory spiracles of aphids. Spray once a week taking turns between solutions. If using these solutions on food plants, be sure to wash them before eating. If using the oil solution, don’t spray on very hot and sunny days as the oil can magnify the sun and possibly harm the plant.